I'm confused by the documentation on spamc and the results of different
spamc options.  I'm using SA 2.60 and qmail-scanner 1.20rc3

When I use qmail-scanner calling spamc with the -c option, only
qmail-scanner tags the email, and all site-wide settings in local.cf seem to
be ignored by spamd. For example, 'add_header' does not add any headers.  If
qmail-scanner calls spamc without any option (except -f), then spamd tags
the mail according to the rules in local.cf, and qmail-scanner does not tag
the mail at all.  If qmail-scanner calls the spamc with the -R option, the
original message gets wiped out and replaced with a message which says the
original message was put into an attachment.  This is in direct conflict
with a "report_safe 0" directive in my local.cf, and a real problem in that
the original email is lost. I am starting spamd with -d -x -L -m 20 -u

 I think you can see the behavior of spamc -R by running the following tests
in the SA source directory:
spamc -R <sample-spam.txt> out.txt
spamc -R <smple-nonspam.txt> out2.txt
When you examine out.txt and out2.txt you will see that the original text of
the email disappears and the output format is different from each other.
Also if the source file is spam, it will print the results as hits/threshold
on the first line, as indicated by the documentation.  On the non-spam
sample, the first line does not have the hit/threshold information.

spamc -r <sample-spam.txt> out.txt exhibits the same behavior as to
attachments, except that it does not return the print the hits/threshold on
the first line ever.

Documentation for spamc indicates that the only difference between -r and -R
is that '-r' reports output to stdout ONLY for spam messages, whereas '-R'
reports output to stdout for ALL messages.

The Documentation also states for the '-r' option "The first line of the
output is the number of hits and the threshold, in this format:
hits/threshold
and for '-R' it states "See -r for details of the output format used."  This
indicates to me that -R should always return hits/threshold as the first
line.

I also encountered an error when trying to patch qmail-scanner with the
qmail-scanner.patch provided with the SpamAssassin source distribution.  I
copied qmail-scanner.patch into the source directory for qmail-scanner
1.20rc3, and ran 'patch <qmail-scanner.patch' and got the following message:

patch: **** malformed patch at line 59:
&qmail_requeue($env_returnpath,$env_recips,"$scandir/$wmaildir/new/$file_id"
);

I suspect that the patch is outdated, and perhaps it should be removed from
the distribution or updated by the author.

Thanks for any comments on this.

Dennis Duval