On Fri, 14 Nov 2003, Bob Amen wrote:

>       We've been seeing a problem with spamd that happens at random times.
> Occasionally, a spamd thread will spin, clocking up CPU time and never
> finish. This causes other spamd processes to hang and eventually all
> memory and swap is used up by multiple spamd and sendmail processes.
> We've set limits on the number of threads of spamd and sendmail but that
> doesn't help. Eventually everything stops, either because their are no
> resources available or there are no more threads available and they're
> all waiting for some to exit, which never happens.
>
>       We've determined that it's the Bayes DB but are not sure why. This
> happens on a RH 6.2 system with Perl 5.6.1 and a Gentoo (2.4.20 kernel)
> with Perl 5.8. Below is the output (very shortened) of strace and then
> lsof of a spamd process that exhibited this behaviour:

[snip..]
>       Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions for other diagnostics that we
> can try?
>
> TIA,
> Bob

You didn't say what version of SA you were running, so I'll assume it's
2.60. (or 2.55 using DB_File). DB_File is based upon the Berkekey_DB
kit (www.sleepycat.com). Usually Berkekey_DB is robust but occasionally
it has shown itself to be a bit sensitive to certain OS dependent
factors (threads implementation, file locking, shared memory, etc).

I'd go to the sleepycat site and check on the version of Berkekey_DB
that you're using to see if there are any known issues for your OS.

The sleepycat Berkekey_DB source kit comes with  an extensive test
suite, you could get the kit and do a 'make test' to see if it finds
anything with your libs.
Alternatively just build a new set of libs from the source kit and
try those.

#include <std_disclaimer.h>