On Sat, Nov 15, 2003 at 10:16:46AM -0500, Charles Gregory wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Nov 2003, Matt Kettler wrote:
> > Unfortunately the list admins can't track which address is generating these
> > bounces. There's no subscribed addresses that seem to match the very little
> > bit of information that's in the bounce itself..
>
> If contacting the domains does no good, may I suggest a TEST mail to all
> list members, with a different 'from' line on each one, all at a single host,
> with a table of aliases such as [EMAIL PROTECTED], and track which
> alias is mentioned in the return mail?

Some mailing list software has the so-called VERP capability, in
which "From: " headers contain the recipient address, encoded thus:

From: List Name <[EMAIL PROTECTED]

or some such.

The MTA at listhost has to be set up to deliver anything with a
"+" delimiter in the local-part to the local address preceding
the "+".  This sort of delivery arrangement is quite common,
possibly a majority of MTA software accomodates such.  The list
server can then decode who the mail was sent to, except in the
most pathological of multi-gatewayed goshawful bounces.

The load on the list server is higher, as each message must be
originated and delivered individually, rather than as batches
with multiple envelope-recipient on a single piece of mail, and
that in itself may forbid using such an arrangement on the heavily
loaded SF mailing list servers.  However given suitable choice
of list server and MTA, no scripting is required, merely turning
on some configuration settings, and such bouncing members are
generally removed with no intervention on the part of the
list maintainers required.

I don't know whether this is possible at SourceForge, but if it
is, it might make sense to turn on these settings once in a while.