On Mon, 17 Nov 2003, Eduardo Alfonso  wrote:

> Hi
>
> I've been trying to configure SpamAssasin to check for the existence of the user on
> the local machine that is
> trying to send the message and I couldn't find how to do this.
>
> Is it possible ??
>
> Thanx
>
> I'm using sendmail MTA in a RedHat9 box

If I understand you correctly, what you want is something that will
examine an incoming message and try to dynamically verify that the sender
of record (mail from: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ) is indeed a valid user
at the remote system.

What you're looking for is something like this:
  http://www.snert.com/Software/milter-sender/index.shtml

Altho it sounds like a good idea, it has potential problems.

If you're a low traffic site, it wouldn't be too bad, but if you
handle > 10k messages a day, it would increase your network load and
could be potentially abusive of remote sites that are innocent
bystanders. (spammers often use randomly generated fake
hotmail/yahoo/msn addresses.)

Some legitimate lists send out messages with a deliberatly
invalid 'from' address (they don't want to be bothered with bounces).
This kind of system would block such messages.

Some systems have an incoming gateway that will accept -everything-
and let an internal mail server decide if the user is valid, thus
making the sender verification system useless.

Some heavily loaded systems (such as hotmail) occasionally get backed
up for hours at at time and not accept connections. This would slow
down your incoming mail from those sites, not to mention putting
addtional load on their servers.

What might be a better solution would be to interlock your MTA with
some kind of database & SA. When a message gets rejected by a remote
site with a DSN, put that address in the database as invalid and
then have SA take that into consideration when scoring more messages
from that address.

You can do that by hand editing your sendmail access-db to add rejects
for specific bogus "from:" addresses. It might be a worthwhile project
to try to automate the process.

Dave

#include <std_disclaimer.h>