On Tue, 18 Nov 2003, Øystein Halvorsen wrote:

> Our only MTA for externally received email is sendmail, which again
> forwards user emails to an internal exchange server.  In fact, we have
> tried this out, and it works quite nicely (at least our local users are
> delighted).  In order to make spamc drop emails, the -D option has to be
> explicitely specified, otherwise the spamc client will work exactly as
> before.  However, if another MTA than sendmail tries to make use of this
> option, then it should of course be throroughly tested out before put into
> real production.

If you are using sendmail+spamassassin as a filtering gateway in front
of some backend server (EG exchange), then I'd suggest using a sendmail
'milter' daemon rather than your spamc configuration (such as
miltrassassin).

This has the advantage of being more fault-tolerant (what happens with
your config if something breaks and causes "spamc" to choke on each
message?)
You can configure it to do a SMTP-reject of a spam message rather than
just silently deleting it.

That  has the major advantage that the sender is notified of the
rejection (assuming that the sending system is legitimate).
Thus if something unexpected happens and you mark a legitmate message
as spam there's hope for discovery and repair rather than things just
mysteriously dissapearing. ;(

#include <std_disclaimer.h>