> >I'm having some trouble with Bayes.  Occasionally, mail will stop flowing
> >in my system.  This is because my procmail spamassassin.lock file becomes
> >stale.  I've futher discovered that it's because the bayes DB gets locked
> >and somehow dies midway during a rebuild.  This causes my whole mail system
> >to come to a screeching halt, and I have to go manually clear lock files
> >manually.
>
> spamassassin.lock file ?
>
> Sounds like you're using the sample procmail script that uses a lockfile to
> serialize local mail delivery so that only one copy of spamassassin can
> ever run at once. Bad idea.

It's per the instructions that I followed in the docs.

> Is your server delivering mail just to you or to many people ?

My server delivers mail to a handful of people, but I'm the only one using
spamassassin.  I should have clarified.  My server dosen't come to a
screeching halt, but MY mail does.  Postfix continues to relay and delivery
to other accounts just fine.

> I'd suggest you get rid of that lockfile, and look at an alternate way of
> limiting the number of simultaneous spamassassin (or spamc) instances to a
> managable but >1 amount.

Where is this documented?

But regardless of that, if you would have read my entire post you would
have seen that my problem is not with procmail or spamassassin.lock, but
instead with the Bayes locking mechanism, and bayes not properly cleaning
up it's lockfile after a crash or failed rebuild.  I'm trying to figure out
how to debug THAT problem.

> In fact if you search the archives for messages from me you should find a
> procmail script I posted that lets you limit the local delivery concurancy
> to a manageable level. Also if you're using spamc, (and you probably should
> be) look at the -m option of spamd....

I'd rather not run daemonized unless I go server-wide.   Besides, if I'm
having bayes locking problems, how will those go away if I'm daemonized?