On Sat, Nov 22, 2003 at 06:24:38PM -0800, Robert Menschel wrote:

> Hello John,
>
> Saturday, November 22, 2003, 4:24:01 PM, you wrote:
>
> JO> I started using the default setting of 5 in user_prefs.  This caught
> JO> *very* little spam.  Most of the Swen virus emails, for example,
> JO> still get through with scores of about 2.something  But marking as
> JO> spam at 2.5 is already causing too much collateral damage for mailing
> JO> lists.  I have to be missing something really big and important
> JO> here... :-)
>
> 1) The Swen virus is not spam. It should be caught by anti-virus
> software, not by anti-spam software.

It's email that I don't want.  It has a predictable From: and/or
Subject: and so should be able to be scored very high.

> 2) yes, you're missing something really big and important, since this
> week, from 5:45 pm on Nov 15 to 6:15 pm on Nov 22, I processed 4,504
> spam, of which 5 managed to sneak through. That's a 99.89% success rate.
> And I do this with a spam threshold of 9.0 (80% higher than the 5.0
> default).
>
> What have you missed?
>
> Do you have the default network tests turned on?  They are VERY useful in
> catching spam which otherwise scores very low against the default rule
> set.

Apparently not.  It looks to me like something has to be done other than
install SA to make them go, and I'm working on figuring that out now...
:-)

> Do you have Bayes turned on? Bayes is a life saver here.

I have no idea.  How would I know?

> Have you adjusted any of the default scores?  Check out my new page at
> http://www.exit0.us/index.php/RM_DefaultScoreChanges -- if you can't
> target Swen using an anti-virus program, check out the
> MICROSOFT_EXECUTABLE rule and score -- I have this set to 15.00, and it
> catches all live viruses (those with active and executable components).

I'll look into that... thanks for the link.

--
John Oliver, CCNA                            http://www.john-oliver.net/
Linux/UNIX/network consulting         http://www.john-oliver.net/resume/