>> I've read numerous antispam articles, and NONE have given SA justice.
>>

> I think the main reason for the poor reporting of SA is mainly due to the
> fact that every one of the reviews has been done by a company that has an
> agenda. That agenda being, collecting advertising funding from commercial
> software companies. Nobody is putting money in their pockets for SA so of
> course the product that pays them the most will get the best reviews.

I don't know if its just that, I too wrote a reply to the author and got a
reply back, and one of the main things I noticed was that he didn't seem
to appreciate the difference between the commercial packages which were
all complete "turnkey" systems with built in graphical user interfaces and
frontends for end users etc, and SpamAssassin which is quite obviously
just a mail filter plugin which is *designed* to be supported by ancillery
software, such as procmail or amavisd etc, and custom written user
interfaces and so on. (Such as the Squirrelmail plugin I wrote that gives
our users an interface for their settings..)

Simply because SpamAssassin doesn't come with a GUI or frontend makes him
conclude that its impossible to have one.

> I tend not to pay any attention to commercial reviews other than as a way
> see whats out there. Even then I tend to go with open-source solutions
> because I like to tinker.

You know, thats a darn good point. We really don't have much to worry
about from articles like this, because the *target audience* of
SpamAssassin (UNIX sysadmin types, to whom lashing together various
different programs to achieve a goal is standard practice) are not going
to be reading reviews like that in the first place, or if they do, they're
more likely to scoff at the "review" and see it for what it is, rather
than be swayed by it...

Regards,
Simon