Simon Byrnand <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> At 14:49 24/11/2003 -0800, Ted Cabeen wrote:
>>Fair enough.  I have been having problems with having enough memory
>>for bayes operations.  In an attempt to resolve them, I've gone back
>>to my v0 bayes database.  Is there any way to do an expiry run on a v0
>>database with 2.60 without upgrading the DB to v2?  I'd like to pare
>>down the size of the DB before I upgrade.
>>
>>Can it be done with an earlier version of SA?
>
> Not sure the answer to your question there, but I see a reply from Theo.
>
> When I upgraded from 2.55 to 2.60, I followed the suggested method -
>
> I already used DB_File so I didn't have to worry about converting it,
> I just did an sa-learn --rebuild under 2.55, then installed 2.60, then
> did another sa-learn --rebuild.
>
> I seem to remember that the second one of those which would have
> caused the database format to be converted from v0 to v2 took about 10
> minutes on a Pentium 4 2.4Ghz, and consumed at one point about 600MB
> of ram on a 1GB ram machine.... (there were a few minutes of worry
> watching it happening :)
>
> Mind you I think our Bayes database at the time had well over 300,000
> emails learnt...

Yeah.  This database has between 2 and 3 million tokens, which is why
I want to pare it down before I do the conversion.  :)

> One other thing I forgot to mention is that a bus error could possibly
> be triggered by a process exceeding the set process limits as
> controlled by ulimit. (Note that it was zsh reporting the bus error)
> Not sure if ulimit -a works in zsh as well, but thats what you'd check
> with in bash...

I set all of those to unlimited on at least one of the runs, but it
was probably still related to that.

--
Ted Cabeen           http://www.pobox.com/~secabeen            [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Check Website or Keyserver for PGP/GPG Key BA0349D2         [EMAIL PROTECTED]