I tried skipping the rbl already with no luck.

Here is my current ps output with half of my rules disabled:

[firewall:/etc/mail/spamassassin] admin# ps -aux | grep spam
mta     4640  41.7 20.9   174920 164612  ??  R    11:14AM  15:50.12  /usr/bin/spamd -u
mta -d -r /var/run/spamd.pid
mta     4916  37.0 18.0   155332 141792  ??  R    11:26AM   4:46.39 /usr/bin/spamd -u
mta -d -r /var/run/spamd.pid
mta     4570   0.0  0.8    17388   6156  ??  Ss   11:12AM   0:03.14 /usr/bin/spamd -u
mta -d -r /var/run/spamd.pid

This is not that bad.  Typically it gets to 15+ processes and then a manual hard
reboot is required.

This system has 700+ MB or RAM.

Dan