From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Dan
Tappin
Sent: Thursday, November 27, 2003 1:43 PM
To: Robert A. Hayden
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [SAtalk] Run Away SA...

I tried skipping the rbl already with no luck.

Here is my current ps output with half of my rules disabled:

[firewall:/etc/mail/spamassassin] admin# ps -aux | grep spam
mta     4640  41.7 20.9   174920 164612  ??  R    11:14AM  15:50.12
/usr/bin/spamd -u mta -d -r /var/run/spamd.pid
mta     4916  37.0 18.0   155332 141792  ??  R    11:26AM   4:46.39
/usr/bin/spamd -u mta -d -r /var/run/spamd.pid
mta     4570   0.0  0.8    17388   6156  ??  Ss   11:12AM   0:03.14
/usr/bin/spamd -u mta -d -r /var/run/spamd.pid

This is not that bad.  Typically it gets to 15+ processes and then a manual
hard reboot is required.

This system has 700+ MB or RAM.

Dan

start to pile up.  I get 10 to 15 spamd
> processes spawning
> > and they soon consume all the system resources and eventually hangs the
machine.  'top' shows perl taking all the
> system resources.
> > I am running perl v5.6 if that helps.
> >
> > I have a secondary mail server with the same set-up and same rule set.
The machine definitely has more incoming mail
> which might be
> > part of the problem.
> >
> > What is the best way to trouble shoot this???  I have run
spamassassin --lint -D and also tried disabling RBL look-ups
> on a hunch.
> >
> > Do I basically need to disable config files one by one and watch for the
problem to go away?

> > Thanks,
> >
> > Dan

Tobin