On Mon, Dec 01, 2003 at 12:55:16AM -0500, Aaron Young wrote:
> Has anyone experimented with applying a penalty for small emails?  With
> bayes or without I always seem to get a mail or two in my inbox.  They're
> all pretty small, under 1k for the message body.  SA finds spammy stuff in
> them but it's never enough to go above 5.0.  They're anywhere from 3.8 to
> 4.9.
>
> My thoughts were to set a low threshold and a high threshold for
> characters.  Say 100 and 1000.  Then set a score for the rule, such as
> 1.0.  Email bodies with the number of chars in the low threshold or less
> get 100% of the score up to the high threshold which gets 0%.
>
> Has anyone tried something like this?

I suspect it *really* depends on the sort of mail you typically get.
I have a weird habit of mailing myself TODO tasks, reminders, and URLs
that I should look at.  Those message are very small.  To a
simple-minded filter, they might look like possible spam.

My suggestion is to try it on your corpus of mail and see how it
performs.

Jeremy
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  |  http://jeremy.zawodny.com/