Hi,

I'm having an odd problem with SpamAssassin 2.60, Qmail-Scanner 1.20 and
"net"qmail 1.04 compiled from source (RedHat 9).

I have ran spamd in debug mode and looked at the spamd script to verify
my config files are located here:

/usr/share/spamassassin
/etc/mail/spamassassin
/home/spamd/.spamassassin/user_prefs

I'm running spamd using daemontools with this set of flags:
/usr/bin/spamd -m 20 -L -u spamd -H /home/spamd

when I run it like that using -D too, everything looks great. I have a
test rule set up to = 200 points, and see this at the very end:

debug: is spam? score=200 required=5 tests=JWM_TEST2
logmsg: identified spam (200.0/5.0) for [EMAIL PROTECTED]:508 in 0.1
seconds, 776 bytes.
debug: cleaned up kid 3595, pool=20

When I get the message it has X-Spam-Status: Yes in the headers
(hits=200.0 required=5.0) ... but the subject doesn't get rewritten
and there's no report.

I'm just using the custom report in /usr/share/spamassassin/10_misc.cf

my /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf file (which is readable by the
spamd account) contains this plus my test rule:

required_hits           5
rewrite_subject         1
report_safe             1
subject_tag             ***** SPAM ****
allow_user_rules        1

I also tried putting that into /home/spamd/.spamassassin/user_prefs but
it didn't help. I then put that in /usr/share/spamassassin/10_misc.cf
as a test even though I know that's not where it really goes... and it
still didn't help. I can't see anything in the -D info when running
spamd that talks about using a report or not, or rewriting the subject
or not. It just says its spam and uses the X-Spam-Flag: YES but doesn't
rewrite the subject.

It bugs me because my custom rule is getting used just fine, just not
the rewrite_Subject and report_safe 1... (which is set to the default
of 1 in /usr/share/spamassassin/ anyway).

I restarted spamd after each config change.. and checked the FAQ.. any
ideas? Is it because spamd is running in "taint" mode as the user
spamd (which is set to use the /sbin/nologin shell in redhat9)? I still
need to try running spamd without the -u and -H flags but I was hoping
to be able to use them. I also need to check more, maybe there's a
clear_report_whatever command somewhere that's erasing the default
report? But it should still be rewriting the subject, argh..

Take care,
Jeremy