On 06 Dec 2003 17:21:54 -0600, Scott A Crosby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
posted to spamassassin-talk:
 > On Sat, 6 Dec 2003 22:04:15 +0000 (GMT), Martin Radford
 > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
 >> I don't know how new this trick is, but I've not seen it before -- the
 >> spammer is using HTML tables to break up the message content.  Also,
 >> most of the interesting words are mis-spelled.  It does at least hit
 >> on HG_HORMONE.
 > Cute!
 > I'd say let bayes deal with it. One of the purposes of bayes is to
 > make sure that this sort of mangling can only happen once.

It would be good to have a rule to match the general pattern. It's
probably too much work to generate that sort of email by hand so
chances are you can find a unique pattern if you collect a few
messages which have this obfuscation.

This has been going around for at least a year; it's reported in the
Spammers' Compendium <http://www.jgc.org/tsc/> as of Jan 17, 2003
(it's the "Slice and Dice" pattern).

One thing to go by might be the silliness of using HTML to send
monospaced text. I mean, what's the point of that (unless you actually
+want+ your ad to be ugly [1])?

The example Martin posted is in Arial, though, and looks quite
different from the old example on the TSC site.

/* era */

[1] Some of the ad posters you see on town these days would seem to
    confirm that this is a prevalent advertising trend ...

--
The email address era     the contact information   Just for kicks, imagine
at iki dot fi is heavily  link on my home page at   what it's like to get