At 11:48 AM 12/11/03 -0300, Ceva wrote:
I a new user of spamassassin, so I have some doubts. I installed spamassassin at a server running FreeBSD 4.9 and sendmail. I want to know how spamassassin works.

Simple.. SA exists as a mail filter.. programs call it, feed it mail, it runs some rules against it, totals up a score and it modifies the message if it thinks it is spam.

You can even run it from the command line in a pipeline fashion:
 $  spamassassin < some_email_file.txt

But most people integrate it into their mail processing chain so it happens automaticaly.

Exmaple: Should I tell something at local.cf to spamassassin to work with sendmail?

You don't configure SA to work with sendmail, the relationship is the other way around.. you configure your mail tools to call SA.

Most people configure the version of procmail that sendmail is using as a MDA the first time they set up SA. I personally went the route of using MailScanner, since I wanted to add virus scanning tool too.

Someone can send me a local.cf example file? I am still not using razor yet, this is for future.

A perfectly valid local.cf is one that doesn't exist.. it's probably also the best place to start. You only need a local.cf when you want to tweak settings, like increase or decrease the spam threshold. Until you've got a "default" copy of SA working, worrying about a local.cf is unnecessary.