Very easy to do what you describe using procmail.  If I were
setting up something like this (which I would not do for love
or for money) I'd use the vacation program to actually send
the messages, avoiding getting trapped in most kinds of mail
loops.

The reasons I would never in a million years set up such an
autoresponder are:

*  It only increases the burden on the Internet and on one's own
   mail servers, attempting to send mail which will in most cases
   simply time out due to unreachable recipients.

*  It spams innocent victims whose addresses have been forged
   by the spammers.

*  Most people I know simply discard such mail.  I sure do.

   If a correspondent has his filters so poorly tuned that
   he classifies my email as spam, in most cases I'll decide
   I don't have enough spare clue-by-fours to help, and I'll
   give up on him and add him or his software to my personal
   straight-to-/dev/null list.