In ferreting out spam phrases, bad URL's, and in scanning e-mail in
general, I think it'd be convenient if there were a grep-like
utility that understood e-mail. Let's call it mail_grep. Mail_grep
would be able to scan e-mail (in mbox format at a minium) for occurrences
of a given string. To do this, mail_grep would (1) decode attachments,
and (as a user-selectable switch) (2) attempt to extract the text from
HTML attachments. Mail_grep would match the user-provided pattern against
these decoded e-mail messages. Mail_grep would print hits in a grep like
fashion,
prepending the message number, or alternatively output the entire matching
message to stdout. There are a lot of other things that mail_grep could
do, but this would seem to be a good first start. I think most of these
capabilities could be constructed using the Mail:: module, or by using
Spamassassin's API. Unfortunately, I don't have time at the moment to
try and build mail_grep, so I'm tossing the idea out here.