-----Original Message-----

First things first... Debian 3.0 includes a very old version of SA.  You will want a
backport of 2.61 from backports.org, apt-get.org, or install from debian/testing
(there was a thread on this whole topic last week).

   >2. edited /etc/default/spamassassin as follows
   >
   >ENABLED=1
   >OPTIONS="-v -u vpopmail -m 50 -c"
   >
   >So use vpopmail config with user vpopmail
   >most importantly.

Unfortunately I can only guess here as I've never used qmail (in fact, I've only ever
integrated using procmail).  I know others use qmail though.

However, I don't see any mention of configuring qmail to call spamassassin, so that'll
be my guess.

   >3. edited /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf as
   >follows
   >
   >required_hits 6.0
   >rewrite_subject 1
   >report_header 1
   >use_terse_report 1
   >defang_mime 1
   >dns_available yes
   >dcc_add_header 1
   >use_dcc 1

Some of these options have changed in 2.61.  After upgrading, you should verify these
settings are still valid.

--
Chris Thielen

Easily generate SpamAssassin rules to catch obfuscated spam phrases:
http://sandgnat.com/cmos/