On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 02:20:16AM -0600, David B Funk wrote:
> If you SMTP reject the spam, it never hits your queue, so no problem
> with the garbage piling up and no bombarding poor innocent 'joe-job'
> victims. It's better than auto-deleting spam, as a legit message
> that is accidentally mis-identified as spam gets returned to the
> true sender and they can remedy the situation rather than wondering
> what happened to their message.

I hope you see the contradiction in the above paragraph.

"no bombarding poor innocent 'joe-job' victims"
"gets returned to the true sender"

Easily forged, easily joe-jobbed, better to never reject.

I had spamass-milter setup to reject for a while, and I found that my
queues were always full.  As I looked into it, I realized they were
full of errors, just waiting to be crapflooded onto some poor-sod-like-me's
mail server.

Incorrectly addressed error messages are way more annoying than spam.
Between forged spam addresses, forged virus addresses, forged Outlook
worm addresses, I've thought multiple times about writing a
CrapAssassin...

--
Ross Vandegrift
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

A Pope has a Water Cannon.                               It is a Water Cannon.
He fires Holy-Water from it.                        It is a Holy-Water Cannon.
He Blesses it.                                 It is a Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
He Blesses the Hell out of it.          It is a Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
He has it pierced.                It is a Holey Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
He makes it official.       It is a Canon Holey Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
Batman and Robin arrive.                                       He shoots them.