On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 14:02:04 +0100, Cahya Wirawan wrote:

>  find and sue everyone who misused their watermark. And for us they
>  have rbl system we can use to check violator, but it works only
>  after people get the spam and report it to them. it is not
[...]
>  possible to sign every emails (sent with habeas header) with the
>  shared key between the mail client or sending smtp server and the
>  habeas server.

A simpler way would be to use a DNS whitelist (like an RBL but white instead of black,
called RWL below).

HABEAS would need to create a header that specifies that the RWL should be used.
Either a second copyrighted trademarked HABEAS header or a header that, when combined
with the current copyrighted trademarked header, specifies this.

If a mail is received with that header SA checks the RWL. If the sending MTA was not
in the RWL, the mail gets a *high* score. If it was there, the mail gets a *lower*
score than for the current HABEAS check.

Companies that know what servers they'll be using to send HABEAS marked mail could ask
HABEAS to put their sending MTAs IPs in the RWL and could then use this new header.

This requires a few things:

1: Mail sent with this mark *must* be sent only from authorized servers directly to
the receiving MX servers.
2: Sa must know about backup MXes and not check those against the RWL.
3: HABEAS must implement it, make their subscribers want to use it, and make the RWL
public and free.
4: Their subscribers must start using it.

Considering that most of the stuff needed for this is allready implemented in SA and
other SPAM checkers, it should be pretty easy to add this functionality to them.
It should also be pretty easy for HABEAS to implement as they allready have an RBL and
an RWL.
And for HABEAS customers it should be easy to just swap to the new HABEAS header once
they're in the RWL. The hardest part'd be for the customers to find out what IPs
they're sending from and make sure they're never sending from any other IPs.

Notes:
HABEAS allready has an RWL listing trusted sending MTAs. That RWL is not completely
publicly available though, wich is understandable. Currently, using that RBL would
mean checking against it for a *lot* of incoming mail. The above solution would mean
that we only have to check agains the RWL for mails containing the HABEAS header
telling as to do so, wich will mean that the load will not be nearly as heavy as it'd
be if everyone started checking against their current RWL.

Regards
/Jonas
--
Jonas Eckerman, [EMAIL PROTECTED]