On Wed, 21 Jan 2004, Christian Nygaard wrote:

> It would be nice if one could take into account a Spam probability
> also based from the originating Received From: header lines. I.e. I
> would want to have a whitelist of known good mail servers and assign
> them a negative score test value and a have a blacklist which is
> assigned a positive score.

One of the things I'm intending to work on, (and it won't likely happen
this week, I'm afraid -- perhaps not even this month), is a check
against the system that handed a message to the first of my mail servers
to handle it.  If that system is registered as an MX for the envelope
sender, (maybe check also the from sender?), assign a negative score,
since spammers usually relay through client systems, or use third-party
mail servers ...

A friend of mine also has suggested the following (the coding is my own,
so if it doesn't work, I've poorly implemented the suggestion):

  header   SYL_BAD_XOIP X-Originating-IP !~ /\[?(\d{1,3}\.){3}\d{1,3}\]?/
  describe SYL_BAD_XOIP Improperly formatted X-Originating-IP header
  score    SYL_BAD_XOIP 4.0  # frankly, this alone should be grounds
                             # for rejection ...

NOTE: I've not yet tested this rule, but so far in the mail I have, it
would match only on spam ...

Sylvain Robitaille                              [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Systems analyst / Postmaster                      Concordia University
Instructional & Information Technology        Montreal, Quebec, Canada