I believe you have neglected to hook SA into your mail delivery path. There are a number of ways to do this; but the most straight forward is to use procmail and add a .forward and a .procmailrc file into your home directory.

Fernan Aguero wrote:

Hi,

I just installed SpamAssassin-2.6.1 under FreeBSD-4.9.
Installation was from the FreeBSD ports collection.

I have not configured anything yet. I just opened INSTALL
and USAGE and went through the steps listed there. It
appears that, because I've installed SpamAssassin from
ports, everything in INSTALL is just done. So I started with
USAGE, which says that before anything else, I should check
spamassassing doing something like:

spamassassin -t < sample-nospam.txt > nospam.out

I have tested this and after creating a user_prefs under
~/.spamassassin, the program keeps reporting the following error:
yp_match: clnt_call: RPC: Timed out

In case it's useful I have run the same example, now adding
-D to collect more debug info. I am attaching the output.
From what I see, there's nothing suspicious, but, alas, I'm
not the one who should know what the output should look
like!

As for the possible cause, yes I have NIS (YP) running. But
as far as I can tell, I've seen no problem. I am running
spamassassing at the host that is acting as the YP master host.
Can anyone tell me what calls is spamassassing making that
need to be passed to yp? I don't see anything in the
attached output.

Thanks in advance,

Fernan