I am not sure to which page you are referring, but this FAQ page - SpamBayes on Windows <http://spambayes.sourceforge.net/windows.html> - does point out that the plugin does not work with Outlook Express. As you have implied, the configuration may seem daunting at first, but it is not exceedingly so. As a proxy, SpamBayes is an intermediary between your email client and your mail provider's servers. If you look at your server settings in Outlook Express, those values get moved to the proxy. Outlook Express is changed to point to SpamBayes, usually localhost or 127.0.0.1 and port 8110. The workaround for Outlook Express mentioned previously is required.

As you mentioned, if your spam situation has improved, then SpamBayes may not be needed. However, for many, when 80% or more of received email is spam, the program is essential.

I hope this helps explain things.

Dale

On 03/24/2015 4:25 PM, Paul Stone wrote:
 Mr. Schroeder;
If the plugin is for Outlook alone, why does the download page recommend the version for Windows XP and Outlook Express? Due to all the technicalities on the installation page, for those of us who don't know much about these things it seems better to leave well enough alone and not install it especially since the common spam expected wasn't received today. -Terry Stone paultst...@earthlink.net

    ----- Original Message -----
    *From:* Dale Schroeder <mailto:d...@briannassaladdressing.com>
    *To:* Paul Stone <mailto:paultst...@earthlink.net> ;
    spambayes@python.org <mailto:spambayes@python.org>
    *Sent:* Tuesday, March 24, 2015 10:56 AM
    *Subject:* Re: [Spambayes] Outlook Express and Windows XP

    Paul,

    The plugin is for Outlook alone.  For Outlook Express, the setup
    is the same as other mail clients, such as Mozilla Thunderbird or
    Pegasus Mail.  In this scenario, SpamBayes is configured and
    trained through a web page, usually http://localhost:8880. The
    SpamBayes proxy is configured with your email server settings, and
    Outlook Express is configured to contact the SpamBayes proxy.  You
    will find more details here:

http://spambayes.sourceforge.net/faq.html#does-spambayes-work-with-outlook-express

    With Outlook Express, the 2nd paragraph of the FAQ above is essential.

    Hope this helps,
    Dale