clive holton wrote:
> I just received this piece of spam (I have xxx'd out my name in the
> message):
>
> From [EMAIL PROTECTED] Fri Apr 20 08:44:29 2001
> Received: from [192.216.133.153] by hotmail.com (3.2) with ESMTP id
> MHotMailBCA9A406006840043250C0D885990F8D5; Fri Apr 20 08:43:26 2001
> Content-Type: text/plain;
> charset="iso-8859-1"
> Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8BIT
> Message-Id: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 11:40:19 -0500
> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Fwd: i'm home, come see me
>
> Dear xxxxx,
>
> Let me be the first to congratulate
> you! [EMAIL PROTECTED] has been specially
> selected to register for a once in a lifetime
> vacation getaway!
>
> Don't wait! Space is limited, register today by
> clicking on the link below:
>
> http://216.33.20.4@3075965874@3235415322/%6D%65%6D%62%65%72%73%2F%62%75%74%6
> D%7A%63%76%6C%73%66%72%6F%74%67%69
>
> When it was parsed, one of the report options was to report myself as the
> spammer to Hotmail (I did not choose it).
>
> Could this mean that I could be reported to Hotmail by other recipients?
In this case it looks like the spammer's software is inserting the recipients
email addy in the message body to make the spam look more personal - or
legitimate. The way the spam is worded I would guess that every recipient will
see their own email addy in the message - not yours.
hobo
_______________________________________________
SpamCop-Help mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://news.spamcop.net/mailman/listinfo/spamcop-help