In article <9c7h7r$op$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "SpamCop" 
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have what appears to me to be a spammer using MY formmail.cgi script to
> send spam out of my server today... here are a couple entries from my log
> file.

<snip>

> I have since removed the cgi script so this can't happen at the moment.  
> Can
> someone tell me where exactly these are coming from and what web pages 
> they
> are referring to?  Do you think the IP address is bogus? Any other 
> helpful
> suggestions appreciated!

If possible, secure the CGI to stop others from using it. IIRC, you can 
user the REFERER environment variable for that... I think.

To make it bulet-proof, recode it so that it doesn't accept any 
recipient address variables passed to it; just hardcode the recipient 
address into the CGI itself.

If there are various addresses that need to accept email via the CGI, 
you could create a database of authorized recipient addresses and 
associate each with an encoded key; pass the key to the CGI, the CGI 
queries the database, and the proper recipient will get the mail.

But that's just me thinking on my feet again. I'm sure others can help 
you with more experienced tips...

-- 
...Bob W.
_______________________________________________
SpamCop-Help mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://news.spamcop.net/mailman/listinfo/spamcop-help

Reply via email to