Sam, Thanks for the info... comments inline below.

>>  Your configuration file
>> doesn't include a timeout command,
Would this be the idle-timeout-secs ? I've now set it to 240, what range
of values should I consider experimenting with?

>> For starters, you could try setting the "dns-level" option to "normal"
Done
>> You could also try removing some of the RBL entries from
>> your configuration file so there will be less DNS work to perform.

I slimmed it down to 4 ... Is this still overkill?
>> Tools like strace and gdb might shed some light on what they're doing (or
>> waiting for).

Is there a particular command that I can run on a PID that gets you the
most useful information?  I imagine that strace is similar to truss (on
Solaris) but I don't know the CL arguments to give it.

Thanks for all the help and tips.... I've been monitoring my processes
and I'm fluctuating between 5 and 15 spamdyke processes at any given
time, which appears normal to me ( but I'm an absolute mail dunce)

Matt