Yes i looked at the sources and as far as i saw, that's very
complex analysis, wich isn't necessary in my case. As my server is
connecting to the internet, the module from Haggybear is rotating
downloads of an update-script, ignoring that it should use a proxy
and times out but doesn't recognize.
I just need to know, who spammed, wich senders are important and
black- or whitelist them.
I'll modify my version to use the below mentioned config-dirs. As
i'm always programming shell-scripts, it won't be hard to make it
compatible to other systems, like QmailToaster.
BTW, is "http://www.shupp.org/toaster/"; meant with that, or something
else?

Sam Clippinger schrieb:
This sounds like a great project to me -- it's exactly what I had in mind when I added support for configuration directories.

Specifically, if your tool updates the configuration file named "_recipient_/domain.com", the changes will only affect recipients in domain.com. That way, your users can do anything they want (including completely disabling spamdyke's filters) and it will only affect their mail. This is a much better solution than allowing any user to edit the server's global configuration and affect everyone's mail. Not every filter can be activated or deactivated through configuration directories but most of them can (whitelists, blacklists, graylisting, rDNS filters and others).

You should also check out the Plesk control panel that Haggybear is working on. That code may already include the features you're trying to build: http://www.haggybear.de/component/option,com_docman/task,doc_details/gid,21/Itemid,54/

BTW, if you build your tool to also work on non-Plesk servers, you'd probably find a large audience for it (especially on the QmailToaster mailing list).

-- Sam Clippinger

David Stiller wrote:
Hi all,

i've written a Spamdyke GUI for Plesk for my customers, so that they all have their own responsibility, if they want to use greylisting and are able to maintain their black-and whitelists. It's nice, as they all can see, what's really happening in the mailsystem and keep away spammers and welcome their customers... Rejecting mails without letting the customers know, is near the border to being illegal in Germany, because the customers
can make me, or my company responsible for missing mails.

But one problem i have is the logic of where i keep those lists. At the moment i just save them to the Plesk database and dump them regularly by cron-job to special files called customer_blacklist_ip, customer_blacklist_rdns, and so on, which are used by spamdyke. That's a good way to write them with root and keep all privileges healthy
and i can let it send a report to me, what has been done.

Do you think it's a good politic to activate them globally? I understand it in the way that every whitelisted entry should be a possible "good" sender for the others too. The critial point are the blacklists: Of course i avoided that they add known IP's, i.e. my mail server's network and local IP's and also created a button to check the reverse data. As far as i know, thats a way the "big" providers do it, i mean tagging
mails manually as spam or ham.

Am i right?

Greetz,
David