the fail2ban rules create an iptables chain with a DROP like this:

DROP       all  --  x.x.x.x       0.0.0.0/0

x.x.x.x stands for the IP-Adresse.

The main problem was, that mostly qmail was very busy in accepting spammers and
then spamdyke creating greylisting thousands of tries for certain, well know
domains.
This caused very much load on the server.