It looks like the Debian maintainers are using GCC 4.6 in Debian 7, which has
some new flags.  For reasons passing understanding, those new flags are enabled
by default.  This generates warnings during the configuration process, which
the script regards as errors.  Yay Debian!

I'll implement a workaround in the next version.  Thanks for reporting this!

-- Sam Clippinger