A novice question perhaps, but does it matter much where one runs the
local caching resolver?

I have a LAN with IP 10.x.x.x and simply use 10.0.0.1 as the local IP
for the resolver.  My understanding is that any local IP can be used
so long as it can be reached by those functions needing access to it.

Would I gain any advantage by using 127.0.0.1 instead?