Sam,

On 2015-09-15 07:27, Sam Clippinger via spamdyke-users wrote:
Actually, no. The sender-blacklist-* and recipient-blacklist-* filters
operate on different data from the header-blacklist-* filters. The
reason is because the sender and recipient addresses are given during
the SMTP protocol and aren't part of the message itself -- the
addresses you see in your mail client are the From and To entries from
the message header. The first paragraph here explains in a little more
detail:
 http://www.spamdyke.org/documentation/README.html#REJECTING_SENDERS
[1]

Yes, sorry, I should have realised that . .

Put another way, the sender address doesn't have to match the "From"
address visible in the mail client -- well-behaved mail clients make
them the same, but that's a courtesy and not a requirement. The
Reply-To address is part of the message header and, again, is only a
convention used by well-behaved clients. If you've ever been Bcc'd on
a message, you've seen this in action -- the sender's mail client gave
your address as a recipient but didn't put your address on the "To"
line in the message header.

Right, so, some follow up questions: I moved the following from the sender-blacklist to the header-blacklist:

  @iskysoft.com

- first in the conf file then later into a separate header-blacklist-file with all the massaged addresses from my old setup - but the sender above still seems to be getting through. I thought the "@" was supposed to act like a wild card? Am I still doing something wrong?

When I add addresses etc to blacklists etc, is there any way of doing a test myself to see that the block is working? Using a telnet to port 25 on my qmail server and manually pasting header lines is not a real test is it?

Thanks,

Phil.

-- Sam Clippinger

On Sep 13, 2015, at 9:20 PM, Philip Rhoades via spamdyke-users