If you are having a bad day and need a good laugh, take a look at
ScienceDirect access to “Operative Techniques in Otolaryngology-Head
and Neck Surgery”

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/journal/10431810

Elsevier, Inc is charging 31.50 (USD) each for access not only to the
articles, but the masthead, the listing of the editorial board, table
of contents, and even the instructions for authors.

Thinking this had to be an oversight, I sent the following query to
their support page.

I am a member of the World Association of Medical Editors and there is
a discussion on their listserv about access to "Operative Techniques
in Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery" via SciencDirect:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/journal/10431810

The web site is set up to charge for access to the Masthead, Editorial
Board, and amazingly Instructions to Authors. I am assuming this is an
error and wanted to bring it to your attention.  I would appreciate
knowing if this is an error or you really intend to charge potential
authors $31.50 to get a copy of the instructions for authors.

This is what they wrote back:

Hi David,

Thank you for contacting Elsevier's e-Helpdesk Support. I apologize
for any inconvenience this may have caused. ScienceDirect is an online
database for institutions, we do not have a way to give complimentary
access to users. However, this doesn't necessarily mean you don't get
access via another database. One thing I can suggest would be to
contact your "EP Support" team. They support users such as authors,
editors, and reviewers. They may have other options for you. I have
provided the contact information below. Sorry I wasn't able to help
directly. If I can be of any more assistance please let me know.

EP Support
http://support.elsevier.com/
supp...@elsevier.com
1 888 834 7287