Well, I've decided to test my SS5 with Linux 2.6 in any way I can. Yesterday evening I tried ALSA sound and it does not seem to work. First it gives this error on startup:

ALSA sound/sparc/cs4231.c:577: mce_down [fd01d000]: serious init problem -
codec still busy

Alsamixer works, aumix via oss mixer emu also seems to work. I turned all channels to max and unmuted everything but Mono out (tried with it on and off).

But play KDE_Startup.wav emits no sound. On my PC the specific file plays for 8.5s, on SS5 the play command from sox package takes 10.6s to finsh and exits normally then. At the beginning I hear a buzzing click from headphones and that's all. No sound from the internal speaker at all.

OSS driver in 2.4 works well so the hardware is probably OK.

/proc/interrupts shows
  9:          0    cs4231

/proc/io_map shows
fd01d000-fd01dfff: cs4231

/proc/openprom settings for SUNW,[EMAIL PROTECTED],c000000:
device_type     'serial'
intr            00000039.00000000
name            'SUNW,CS4231'
reg             00000004.0c000000.00000040

--
Meelis Roos ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
-