I was getting too bogged down in the second/ code so I tried
simply using the second.b from older versions.

second.b from silo 1.2.6 works fine on all sun4c and sun4m
but fails on sun4u
second.b from silo 1.4.5 and 2.4.8 both screw up on sun4c

So it looks like the sun4c / prom v0 support got broken between
1.2.6 and 1.4.5

Does this point to any smoking guns  ?.

Ben Collins wrote:

Thanks. Committed to the repo. I'll try to get a new version out soon.

As for the next error, it looks like it is trying to load it to the
physical address of 0x0, which is a bad thing. That overwrites silo
itself.

So I guess there is an error in silo (not first-isofs). Check the
memory_find() function in second/memory.c and see why it is using a
physical address of 0x0.