Matthias wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Back here after a long break :-) I want to use the TPP for
> quantitation of metabolic labeling experiments - both 14N/15N and 12C/
> 13C. I have two questions:
>
> 1.) Is it possible to use 13C labeling with either XPress or
> ASAPRatio? I've found only options for 15N, so is there any chance to
> process 13C-labeled samples?

You can't analyze 13C labeling now with Xpress.  I don't see 13C (nor
15N) support mentioned in the ASAPRatioPeptideParser usage statement so
there's a decent chance you can't use ASAPRatio right now for 13C
analysis either.

It was easy to extend the 15N option in Xpress to 13C labeling which I
just did with the source files I have checked out.  But it might take
awhile before these changes make it out.  I need to check in the mods,
we'll need a small TPP GUI update, and the next TPP release will need to
be released.

> 2.) How to perform the searches (Mascot in my case)? As far as I
> understood I have to search each sample twice - once for the light and
> once for the heavy peptides. That means to modify the masses and
> modification files on the Mascot server for every heavy search, so it
> is quite uncomfortable, especially if the Mascot server is shared with
> a lot of other people... With version 2.2, Mascot offers an option for
> metabolic labeling, resulting in the identification of light and heavy
> peptides in one run. Is it possible to process such a combined result
> file through the TPP?

For current Xpress analysis of metabolic labeled samples, the searches
do need to be performed separately.

I don't know how the modification specification in pepXML handles
metabolic labeling and if the Mascot to pepXML converter can correctly
translate combined light/heavy metabolic search results to pep.xml
files.  It's going to take time and effort from some volunteer to make
it possible to process a combined result through the TPP.