When a precursor charge is not known, the logic that is used to
analyze the data is as follows.  If there are no peaks above the
precursor m/z then the spectrum is assumed to be 1+ and analyzed as
such.  If there are peaks above the precursor m/z then the precursor
ion is assumed to be multiply charged.  At this point, although the
precursor charge state could be 2+, 3+, 4+ or higher,  it is searched
as 2+ and 3+.

Note that only correctly presumed charge states can result in 'right'
identifications (obviously).  This also means that there are likely
some 4+ and higher precursor ions that are identified 'wrong' because
that precursor charge is never analyzed.  It's all a tradeoff (in
analysis complexity , search times) and for tryptic peptides it's a
generally reasonable one.