Hi, although SpectraST has a few multi-threaded features, I don’t think the
msp conversion is multithreaded, so that is just one thread only. This
conversion is actually not very CPU intensive at all, but rather I/O bound,
i.e. the speed of your disks probably matters most. I’m guessing that on
your cluster, you’re probably accessing the data over NFS, which can be
quite slow. I also notice that often my laptop is faster at such operations
because I have an SSD on my laptop and therefore disk reads and writes are
really fast and that makes all the difference.

So, there are no parameters to make that operation faster. Running the
operation on a faster disk might help a lot. Running it on a local disk,
rather than on NFS might help quite a bit. But then there might be the
overhead of copying the files to and from local disk. RAMdisk would be even
faster.

But, then, on the other hand, does it matter that much? Usually you’ll just
have to do the msp -> splib conversion once, and then use that splib many
times. So really the searching is more important because that’s happening
many times. And I believe that part is multi-threaded.

Not very helpful, but those are my thoughts..

Regards,

Eric