There’s no trivial solution, I think. But here are some non-trivial
possibilities:

1) Search the whole dataset with variable heavy label

2) Create a spectral library with the heavy labeled peptides and merge that
library with a normal human library and search with SpectraST

3) Replace all the heavy labeled amino acids in your peptides with some
letters such as B and J and then set Comet or whatever search engine to
have the correct masses for B and J.

4) Eventually the optimal solution will be to use the PEFF format which can
support such modifications right in the PEFF file. Comet and the TPP will
support this sometime this year I hope but not super soon.

5) X!Tandem has a mechanism to specify a file containing proteins with
certain mass modifications. I can’t seem to find the documentation on how
to do it at the moment, but X!Tandem can do it.

Regards,

Eric