Hi Joey,
Glad that the new Petunia worked for you.  Do let us know if you find
anything amiss, since this is a pre-release version with a handful of new
(semi-tested) features.

As for the "unknown" instrument type, I just want to make sure that you
started with the same mzML file for each of the searches.  While this gets
resolved, you may want to use the -Ow option in xinteract:  "[issue a]
warning instead of exit with error if instrument types between runs is
different".  Let us know if this avoids the error and thus the need for
your python script.

Cheers,
--Luis