Hi Elkan, every converter will do things a little differently. It’s hard to
say which is better. I think we did some tests a while back and the SCIEX
conversion of 5600 DDA data yielded slightly more IDs than with msconvert
converter, but they were pretty similar. For most datasets, it should not
matter much. I think SCIEX’s converter can produce mzML files as well, so I
would recommend mzML instead of MGF. You could do both and compare. But
you’ll likely be fine just to pick one and go with it.

In reviewing some notes I have, it looks like the msconvert tool does not
have access to the precursor charge states, while the SCIEX converter does.
So the SCIEX convert to mzML is probably the best option because you will
get charge states, while a search with msconverted mzML will be guessing
charge states. Just a problem with the SCIEX API that msconvert has access
to.

Regards,

Eric