Hopefully, I am understanding your queries correctly, here goes.
Centroiding the data will reduce the number of peaks in the spectra and
reduce the running time of the analysis.  Compressing the files to make
them smaller will require that the tools reading the files uncompress the
data (usually internally) prior to using it which will increase the running
time.  As far as affecting the results, compressing the files should not
change the data while centroiding will. As far as how much this will affect
the final ratios probably depends on the quality of centroiding algorithm
and the quality of the data.  Run some tests yourself and get a feel on
some data you know well;  testing should help you refine your approach.
Hope that helps!

-David