Hi Team,

sorry for another question regarding SPDX and its mapping to the world.
From time to time you find additional statements from the copyright holders
regarding their view about the scope of the GPL. Since these are statements
from the copyright holders I regard them as relevant license information. I
want to provide two examples:

1.       Linux Kernel: probably all of you know the statement of Linus Torvalds:

“   NOTE! This copyright does *not* cover user programs that use kernel

services by normal system calls - this is merely considered normal use

of the kernel, and does *not* fall under the heading of "derived work".

Also note that the GPL below is copyrighted by the Free Software

Foundation, but the instance of code that it refers to (the Linux

kernel) is copyrighted by me and others who actually wrote it.

Also note that the only valid version of the GPL as far as the kernel

is concerned is _this_ particular version of the license (ie v2, not

v2.2 or v3.x or whatever), unless explicitly otherwise stated.”

Which is  right in the beginning of the COPYING file.

2.       Jailhouse (which is a hypervisor for Linux and it is licensed under
GPL-2.0 and the following clarification)

This copyright does not cover applications or operating systems that run inside
hypervisor cells, also if they use hypervisor services by normal hypercalls.
This is considered normal use of the hypervisor and is not a "derived work".

                   GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE
                                               ….

My questions are how are the Clarifications handled in SPDX? Is the Linux
Kernel licensed under GPL-2.0 or under GPL-2.0-with-clarification (I know that
this currently does not exist).
If the Linux Kernel is regarded to be licensed under GPL-2.0 how is the
clarification to be handled in SPDX? In my opinion it must not be neglected.
The same questions apply to all other such clarifications

Thanks for your patience

Ciao

Oliver

Siemens AG