On 06/20/2015 05:12 AM, Sam Ellis wrote:
> Despite it being called BSD-style I actually think it is more reminiscent of
> MIT license.

It was a 2 clause OpenBSD license linked as "License Template" from the
top of http://www.openbsd.org/policy.html with half a sentence removed
(ala https://github.com/landley/toybox/commit/ee86b1d8e25c).

We've been calling it zero clause BSD because it was derived from the 2
clause OpenBSD license, and we plan to continue to call it that if SPDX
rejects the request.

> BSD licenses often start with "Redistribution and use..."
> (https://spdx.org/licenses/BSD-2-Clause.html).
> MIT licenses often start with "Permission is hereby granted..."
> (http://spdx.org/licenses/MIT.html).

Functionally this is a public domain equivalent license and those
aren't, so this is _functionally_ very different from either of them and
closer to unlicense or wtfpl.

It's called "zero clause bsd" to highlight that it does not contain any
license text or requirements _not_ in a license used by one of the major
BSD distros, and is in fact identical to that license except for half a
sentence that removes the requirement separating BSD from public domain.
We chose license text derived from one of the BSDs and modified _only_
with a single deletion to make a wider range of people comfortable with
the license: if your legal department is ok with OpenBSD, clearing this
variant should be easier than reviewing a whole new license.

MIT and ISC are also similar to BSD licenses, but nobody outside of
licensing geeks has ever heard of them. "Derived from a BSD license"
communicates information to far more laypeople than "derived from an ISC
license" would.

(The "zero clause" part is to indicate that you are not tied to specific
license text when chopping code out of this project and reusing it
elsewhere, I.E. it functions as a public domain license in that regard.)

(https://github.com/landley/toybox/blob/c2806decbff81cc05e107a9091042f01ad61dc13/LICENSE)
> looks very clearly MIT to me

According to OpenBSD their license is "modeled after ISC":

http://cvsweb.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/src/share/misc/license.template?rev=HEAD

  Below is an example license to be used for new code in OpenBSD,
  modeled after the ISC license.

But "license to be used for new code in OpenBSD" makes it a BSD license
in my book. Of the half-dozen BSD license variants I looked at this was
the simplest, but I wouldn't have used it if it _wasn't_ a BSD license.

> (compare with
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing:MIT?rd=Licensing/MIT#Old_Style_with_legal_disclaimer_2).
>
> So I guess there is a difference between how I would classify this versus how
> it is actually known in the wild.

I consider the license OpenBSD uses for new code to be a BSD license.
They also seem to think it's their license*. The toybox license is
derived from that license so that people comfortable with "BSD licensed
code" can be comfortable with toybox's license without significant
further explanation.

Rob

* Ok, whoever wrote up openbsd's copyright policy page refers to "The
Berkeley Copyright" and "The OpenBSD Copyright" when talking about
licenses, but the actual license.template gets it right.