Hi Rob,

I did not add any explanatory text as per your request.  Like you said, we can
cross that bridge if/when we get questions.

By way of background or reminder for those who don’t know all the history:
The point of the SPDX License List is to provide a reliable way to identify
common open source licenses.  The short identifiers are key here - whether used
in an SPDX document, or used in a host of other places where being able to
refer to a license in a concise and reliable way is helpful. When the OSI
declared their support for SPDX some years ago and began to include the SPDX
short identifiers in brackets after the license names and then changed the URLs
to use the short identifiers, this was great alignment in terms of spreading
the word and encouraging consistency. There was actually a fair amount of work
involved; making sure SPDX had all OSI-approved licenses on the SPDX License
List meant taking a very thorough look at the list, license text, etc.  I am
forever grateful for the awesome collaborative effort we enjoyed to this end,
thanks specifically to (former) OSI board members, Karl Fogel, John Cowan, and
Luis Villa.

At that time, the OSI had not approved a new license in some time, so it was
easy to get up-to-date.  What we failed to establish, although it has been
talked about on a couple occasions, was a process for making sure that when OSI
approves a new license, SPDX gets a heads-up so we can also add it to the SPDX
License List, including the important task of determining the short identifier,
which the OSI can then include and use as they do/have.  We will certainly be
looking to improve that communication going forward.

Of course, even that may not have helped in this rather odd (I hope) situation
of someone submitting a license to the OSI who was not the author of the
license, under a different name, and after it had already been submitted/added
to the SPDX License List by the license’s author. As stated previously, the
best outcome here, was if the person who submitted the license to OSI to
understand the importance of a consistent way to identify the same license and
concede to changing the OSI submission to the name you had already been using,
as the author of the license.

I can understand your frustration and having the same license under two
different names (anywhere for that matter!) is not optimal.

In any case, I think an important thing to note here and which seems to have
gotten lost in the thread is the reason you stated as to why you submitted it
to SPDX:
        "Either Samsung or Sony (I forget which) asks me to submit the the
toybox
        license to SPDX to simplify their internal paperwork:
        http://lists.spdx.org/pipermail/spdx-legal/2015-June/001443.html";

People and companies are using the SPDX License List.  We never can really
quantify who and how, but that a big company asked you to submit your license
to be on the SPDX License List is a great indicator of the usefulness of the
SPDX License List.  :)

In any case, thanks for all your input and time.

Thanks,
Jilayne

SPDX Legal Team co-lead
opensou...@jilayne.com