Still needs a lot of work, but there's a basic thing functioning here:

http://krisreeves.com/xmledit/

You can paste whatever XML you want in the left and use the excellent

Ace editor to manipulate it. It's transformed into an HTML fragment via

an XSLT stylesheet, though browser support may not be robust and the

resulting html isn't fantastic yet. It highlights replaceable text and

makes optional text gray, formats lists, and exposes some basic

information. There's lots that could be improved but I figure it might

at least be enough to help in the short term.

One thing that jumps out at me is that styling the lists with CSS isn't

quite as useful as I had hoped it would be. Initially I had wanted to

essentially put a "negative indent" on the bullets and treat the rest of

the content like normal. I've done this to an extent here, but wide

bullets will still break things and other quirks still exist, such as

multiple paragraph tags not lining up with each other.

The Ace editor should issue warnings about malformatted XML. As an

example I load up the Apache 2.0 license, which suffered from a case

mismatch in the open and close SPDX tags (I've committed a fix to the

repo).

Kris