Hi Richard,

I think you may have spotted a place where the “replaceable” markup is too
narrow, but let me make sure I have this right:

the third clause, in full states:
3. Neither the name of the copyright holder nor the names of its contributors
may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software without
specific prior written permission.

We have “the copyright holder” as the text which can be replaced and still be a
match.  In other words, if it said:

3. Neither the name of JilayneCo nor the names of its contributors may be used
to endorse or promote products derived from this software without specific
prior written permission.

it would be a match.

But in reality, you might also see (using strikethrough and blue text to
highlight differences):

3. Neither the name of JilayneCo nor the names of its contributors may not be
used...

or even,

3. Neither the name of JilayneCo nor the names of its contributors may be
used...

I think you are correct that this should be a match, but the markup does not
sufficiently allow for such changes.  We have a legal call on Thursday (at 11am
Man time), so this is a good topic to discuss then!

As for the disclaimer, I think it works either way… for example:

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS" AND
ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED
WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE
DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT HOLDER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE ...

could be a match also if it instead said:

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY RICHARD "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED
WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF
MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO
EVENT SHALL RICHARD BE LIABLE …

or, it would equally be a match if it said:

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY  RICHARD AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS
OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF
MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO
EVENT SHALL RICHARD OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE ...

But let me know if I’m missing something here.

thanks,

Jilayne