From: g...@sourceauditor.com [mailto:g...@sourceauditor.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 8, 2017 9:42 AM
To: 'SPDX-legal'
Subject: Question on semantics for bullet tag

I ran into an implementation issue in trying to convert the license XML into
HTML for the website.

The bullet tag is currently defined as an independent element.

I implemented the bullet to do a newline before each bullet.  For example:

before

<bullet>I am a bullet</bullet>

After

Would be rendered as:

Before

● I am a bullet

After

The problem is if I include it in a list, the list item also generates a new
line, so lists with bullet get an extra blank line.

For example:

before

<list>

<item>

<bullet>I am a bullet</bullet>

</item>

</list>

After

Would be rendered as:

Before

● I am a bullet

After

In looking at how HTML solves this, there is no bullet tag but rather an
attribute of the list item.

If we believe that we would only use bullets in a list, I would propose we
change bullet from an element tag to an attribute of list item.

I could implement some logic to handle this, but it would be somewhat
convoluted and hard to describe when and how to use bullets.

I realize this will require some rework for the licenses.  I can, however,
include a conversion from the element tag to the attribute in the xml
conversion utility.  This would localize the convoluted logic to the
conversion and not to the standard code.

I’ll be on the legal call for the first 30 minutes or so if you would like
to discuss this.

Thanks,

Gary

Gary O'Neall