Just a comment, which seems to resonate with some of what you are saying and
expresses something I've been struggling with for a while:

As (mostly) an intentionally-not-watching-too-closely bystander wrt SPDX, for
some time I've realized that SPDX means at least two different things. There is
SPDX as contemplated by those who have been most closely and actively involved
in its development. This anticipates the creation of SPDX-conformant files and
among other things defines an important distinction between "declared" and
"concluded" licenses -- while expecting the use of an identical license
expression language for both, which, as an aside, I think is conceptually very
confusing.

The other SPDX is the use of something that *superficially* looks like
SPDX-conformant license expressions to describe licensing in a way that is, I
guess, outside the intended scope of SPDX. Examples of this nonconformant use
of SPDX license expressions include developers annotating the licensing of
their own software as well as distributors annotating the licensing of things
they distribute.

It's the second use of SPDX that in recent years I see catching on in the real
world of developers and vendors and users, and not the first. The first use of
SPDX continues after many years to be relegated to an extremely small set of
enthusiasts, and I think to the rest of the world seems impractical for various
reasons. In particular I would assert that these two uses of SPDX are
fundamentally in conflict.

>From what I can see, the SPDX group counts the second development as a set of
>signs of "adoption of SPDX". For example, when Fedora began to consider
>"switching to SPDX" for RPM spec file license tags (which still is nowhere
>near actual adoption and implementation, for reasons relating to this post), I
>think the SPDX group saw that as a potential major victory. But that is not
>really accurate at all. What's happening is that SPDX license expressions have
>been hijacked to a non-contemplated use which is of much greater interest to
>the community than the original contemplated use for SPDX.

These seem to correspond directly to your two stakeholders, except the second
stakeholder in my mind also includes non-developers who are looking for a
simple, standardized way to adequately describe the licensing of things they
distribute. Maybe that's a third stakeholder which sees value in the LEL that
is similar to what the second stakeholder sees.

Now speaking specifically of things Red Hat is involved with, we have
essentially zero interest in the first use of SPDX. Basically no one we
encounter (outside of some individuals on this list) wants to create or see
conformant SPDX files - not projects, not us as a company, not our customers.
But we see a growing interest in the second use of SPDX from developers of Red
Hat-maintained projects, in certain internal engineering efforts, and with a
small number of customers, and an accompanying growing dissatisfaction with
other conventions for describing licensing of software components. And one of
the big challenges in this second use of SPDX is developing a set of
conventions that hides sufficient complexity in license description, which I
think is philosophically completely at odds with the basic direction of
official SPDX. The conflict is such that I wonder whether there really
shouldn't be a separate official effort around the second use of SPDX.

Richard