W. Trevor King [mailto:wk...@tremily.us]:
> The Appendix V wording for that is:
>
>   Representing Multiple Licenses
>
>   Multiple licenses can be represented using a SPDX license expression
>   as defined in Appendix IV.  A set of licenses must be enclosed in
>   parentheses (this is a convention for SPDX expressions).
>
> which is a strange combination of “must” and “convention”.  But it sounded
> to me like a requirement for parens around the whole license expression,
> and not a suggestion for additional parens within the license expression.  In
> [2], I tried to express that with the ‘enclosed-license-expression’ rule [3]
> and its explanatory paragraph [4].

Appendix V only applies to license expressions within files, not license
expressions generally.
If we interpret "must" as a real requirement, then within files you must use
(...) in these cases.
In contrast, Appendix IV applies in all cases.

I think the Appendix V additional requirement should be dropped, frankly.
That is, I think we should remove the statement, "A set of licenses must be
enclosed in
parentheses (this is a convention for SPDX expressions)."
I'm fine with a style recommendation as a "should" in appendix IV, which is
already there.  But if someone forgets the parentheses, the license expression
should still be accepted because it's unambiguous and has been historically
allowed by the specification.

--- David A. Wheeler