On Wed, Jan 03, 2018 at 09:36:30AM -0800, g...@sourceauditor.com wrote:
> At some point, these issues will likely turn into a pull request
> created by someone quite familiar with the current license XML
> format.  There currently isn't much documentation on the specifics
> for the pull request process itself.
> …
> The document would be technical in nature and provide guidance on
> creating new license XML files…

I think you're going both ways for “these contributors are familiar
with the current license XML format”.  But regardless of how familiar
folks are, documenting that format is good for onboarding new
contributors and keeping existing contributors on the same page.  I've
just finished the initial work on [1], which adds documentation for
the schema semantics to our XSD file.  I think that's the best place
for those docs, because it makes it easier to keep them up to date as
the schema evolves.

> … process for reviewing and accepting pull requests, use of tags…

These sound like maintainer docs.  Other projects I'm involved with
have a separate MAINTAINERS_GUIDE.md [2] or similar for this sort of
thing.

> … best practices for license matching markup, limitations in the
> current tools, pointers to the XML schemas…

This sounds like useful information for anyone reading the XML.  I'd
rather document the best-practices and tool limitations in the XSD,
along side the semantics.  That gives XML authors and readers a single
place to look to understand a given element or attribute.

> … tips on debugging license match failures…

This sounds like useful information for both XML authors and matching
consumers.  But I'm not clear on what sort of content you'd include.
This seems more like “we should update the tooling to provide better
diagnostics for failed matches”.

> … and anything else we can think of that would help technical
> contributors to the repository.

I'm certainly in favor of improving our documentation, as long as we
don't add more documentation than we are able to maintain.

Cheers,
Trevor

[1]: https://github.com/spdx/license-list-XML/pull/586
[2]: